What's Your Shop Entertainment?

Ron Dudelston

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Larry Jenkins1409946522

Ron..

There's a "runway" between the finished part of the lower level of our house and the Shop, which is part of the lower level.

My receiver, turntable and CD player are in that space, so no sawdust problems.  I'm pretty lucky to have that option.

Can you isolate your sound equipment that way?

BTW, how did the bowl turn out with just "Bri and Tre?"

Larry

As for the dust, I have my CD/radio on a shelf high in the shop.  its about as easy to blow it out once a year.  The item that really ahs be concerned is the PC.  I have the printer and PC in a case so dust isn't an issue but it is an older, non LCD monitor an the dust just floats into it.  I figure one of these days it will short out and then I'll buy an LCD

The bowl is still patiently waiting on me.  I'm finishing up some coin displays and probably tomorrow I have to build a burial flag case so maybe Saturday or Monday I'll get back to the lathe. 

I have a cheapie AM/FM/CD system which works well. I will typically listen to talk radio or I run my iPod through it with either music or bible teaching depending on what it is that I am doing in th shop. About a month back I did a re-arrange of my garage/shop after I bought a new shed so that all the non-shop related stuff is now out of my garage. I finally tossed the cheapie speakers for my stereo system and put up my old Bose book shelf speakers. Boy did that make a BIG difference in the sound. I mounted them on the side wall as opposed to the back wall where the old speakers were. So now with the Bose speakers being more multi-directional I can play my music louder and it stays in the garage better when the roll up door is open as opposed to blasting out into the culdesac.

I don't know how I survived before having iTunes on my computer and my iPod. I use my iPod in my shop, in the car and when I go out walking. I use my laptop in the morning when I have breakfast and do my Bible study prep in the back booth at Chick-fil-a with my headphones on. I can tune out the world and get things done uninteruppted.

Dust? In a CD Player?   Nah, not when there is an air hose nearby.   I use one of those "safety" nozzles, a nice gentle "ppppft" and all clear.   It also has an AM/FM radio.  AM picks up the "motor" sounds in the shop real nice.   FM works IF I lay the aerial against the metal siding of the barn.  Turns the whole barn into a BIG antennea.

Ron Dudelston said:

As for the dust, I have my CD/radio on a shelf high in the shop.  its about as easy to blow it out once a year.  The item that really ahs be concerned is the PC.  I have the printer and PC in a case so dust isn't an issue but it is an older, non LCD monitor an the dust just floats into it.  I figure one of these days it will short out and then I'll buy an LCD

The bowl is still patiently waiting on me.  I'm finishing up some coin displays and probably tomorrow I have to build a burial flag case so maybe Saturday or Monday I'll get back to the lathe. 

K-Love is a great station to listen too. I enjoy their music and ministry (sp)  so much. It is the only station on in my shop, no comercials (so to speak) and always uplifting and positive. Reallyt helps when the oops appear and is back to stage prior ..

Now that's funny, about the 8 tracs, I tried to show my kids what 8 tracs were and they looked at me like I was from Mars, same with cassettes and vinyl, sheeesh, I feel old.

mark L cherry said:

I listen to k-love Christian radio,my 8 tracs dont work any more.

It's like 15.00-25.-- a month.  Less if you buy by the year and less if you buy a lifetime membership.

I have it at my freinds shop and my place.good music and howard stern.

Ron Dudelston said:

What's the extra Sirius fee?  I have it in the van and up until a few years ago I could access online for free but now they charge.

I wonder if the wife or I have any 8 tracks left. I know we have stacks of vinyl and dare I say some old clay 78 rpm alblums. I dont have anything to play them on but they are tucked away in a cupboard upstairs in one of our bedrooms. Better quit I'm starting to feel dated ... ROFL...

Someone mentioned 8 tracks .......... I ran across a fella in a flea market about 25 plus years ago who had close to a 1000 of the 8 track tapes and some of them new in the wrapper......I bought em all just for grins for like $15 for an investment and have them stored away .....probably time to get em out and sell the things.

Does anyone remember 4 tracks ..........I bought a new Muntz 4 track car tape player in 1966 and put it in my 1962 Chevy II 2 door hardtop, but I am probably going to have to take a pic of this next audio device cause no one will believe me.........I have a brand new 45 RPM car record player still in the original shipping box.

As for shop entertainment ........I am almost like the kids now-days and like plenty of bass only different music. I have a big watts old school 4 channel Pioneer receiver ....... 3 pairs of speakers with 3 speakers per cabinet (1 pair of Kenwoods with 15" woofers - 1 pair of MSC w/ 10 woofers - 1 pair of Pioneers w/10 woofers) and 1 pair of cabinet passive radiators with 2 speakers each. So I guess my total count on speakers is 22 speakers "strategically" placed in my main shed.....rock-on............

My music interests are all over the charts.......no pun intended. ....... 50-60-70 rock and roll ........I really like 30s-40s Big Band swing music..........a bit of blue grass .......some classical .........etc.

Here are a few artists that I think are some of the best. Clapton and Chet also said Tommy is one of the best.

Guitar Boogie by Tommy Emmanuel

Heartbreak Hotel by Tommy Emmanuel
I want these 3 songs played at my funeral when the time comes. 

I think that Eva has the very best female voice of all time:

Eva Cassidy – Over the Rainbow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccCnL8hArW8 

Judy Collins – Amazing Grace - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4EAbmp85VU

Andrea Bocelli – The Lord’s Prayer - 

Thanks ~ Dan

Archived