Desperately Seeking Thin Wood

Jo R.

OK gang, let me add some details to this project.  I spoke with Jo and Mike and here's the deal.  These are monthly projects that 8 chidren will be working on.  Project #1 will be done in September, Project #2 in Oct and so on with a break in December when no project will be done.  Therefore, the cut list for each project will be multiplied time 8, for 8 children.  The kids will be cutting the materials to length so the wood only needs to be cut exact to width and thickness. 

There are some funds available to offset the cost of shipping if need be.

I can assist with the September project #1 since I have cherry.  Anyone want to tag team it with me?  

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be notified...  You guys have brought to me the desire to throw my face to the ground rejoicing the great goodness of our GOD.  I had to run a quick errand leaving Mike on the phone with Ron.  I was already excited about the miracle you are bringing about for us.  But when I came back, Mike, who has been very reticent about taking on the task of teacher, told me that he has a whole new outlook on the project and that he is both encouraged and excited! 

I can not thank you folks enough.  But I DID grab Mike's hand and we DID go before the Lord with prayers of gratitude.

May your days be blessed as you have blessed us.  I have to run for now, but I'll get back to about some of the new questions.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Ron,

I don't have any cherry but do have enough oak for 8 boxes. I'll start working on the pieces so they will be in their hands by the middle/late October.

Ron Dudelston said:

OK gang, let me add some details to this project.  I spoke with Jo and Mike and here's the deal.  These are monthly projects that 8 chidren will be working on.  Project #1 will be done in September, Project #2 in Oct and so on with a break in December when no project will be done.  Therefore, the cut list for each project will be multiplied time 8, for 8 children.  The kids will be cutting the materials to length so the wood only needs to be cut exact to width and thickness. 

There are some funds available to offset the cost of shipping if need be.

I can assist with the September project #1 since I have cherry.  Anyone want to tag team it with me?  

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

Thanks Lew.  You have #3 and I'm taking Project one.  Any takers for 2,4 &5?

FYI, I'll plane the thickness to size and cut the width but I'm going to leave them long so the kids can cut them  I'll get a shipping address for you.

Lewis Kauffman said:

Ron,

I don't have any cherry but do have enough oak for 8 boxes. I'll start working on the pieces so they will be in their hands by the middle/late October.

Ron Dudelston said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Time traveler. Purveyor of the world's finest custom rolling pins!

Russell, are you in for #4?  Do you want all 8 or do you need a partner?

Russell K. Walls said:

I agree Arlin

and yes what type of tools do you have at your disposal?

and we can go from there... because I've got all these woods listed the only problem you would need to be able to plane it down to thickness

I'll take on Project #4 if others want to take on the other to supply the wood....

The only cost to you would be shipping?

LMK and I'll get the wood ready for you over this weekend...

But the catch is... We all want to see photo's of the progress of your classes Grin.gif

Arlin Eastman said:

Thanks!

Ron Dudelston said:

FYI, I'll plane the thickness to size and cut the width but I'm going to leave them long so the kids can cut them  I'll get a shipping address for you.

Lewis Kauffman said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Guest Russell K. Walls

I Believe I was asked if I'm in for all #8 projecects........?

Lew ya leavin me on the Oaks???????? skin them and send them!!!!!!!!!

How you teach a kid basic woodworking if you cut it to fit?????????????????????? I'm sinkin and you pricks are laughin!!!!!!!!!!!!! let them shape it..

Ron Your an Ass!!!!!!!!! I covered #4 Projecet and Challenegd the groupe...... Ron shoved a fiddle down my throat!!!!!!

Wood Yes! Postage No! I said in the forefront....... I do mail order every day~

I posed that question before I realized they had a working table saw.

Russell K. Walls said:

I Believe I was asked if I'm in for all #8 projecects........?

Lew ya leavin me on the Oaks???????? skin them and send them!!!!!!!!!

How you teach a kid basic woodworking if you cut it to fit?????????????????????? I'm sinkin and you pricks are laughin!!!!!!!!!!!!! let them shape it..

Ron Your an Ass!!!!!!!!! I covered #4 Projecet and Challenegd the groupe...... Ron shoved a fiddle down my throat!!!!!!

Wood Yes! Postage No! I said in the forefront....... I do mail order every day~

Guest Russell K. Walls

I've got #4!!!!!!

Good speaking with you this morning Ron.....

Jo & Mike God ain't done with you yet!!! (Pictures) Grin.gif

Ron Dudelston said:

Lewis Kauffman said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

Here's a project update gang.  Lew kaufmann, Russ Walls and I have chosen Projects 1, 3 and 4.  Three down and 3 to go.

Also, Jo told me that cutting the material to width is not necessary just so they are planed to thickness.  Thanks folks!!!!  You're the best!

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

Super!!

I looked at different shipping methods. Parcel Post limits are 70lbs, 27" long x 17" high x 17" wide. Is there any more economical method?

Ron Dudelston said:

Here's a project update gang.  Lew kaufmann, Russ Walls and I have chosen Projects 1, 3 and 4.  Three down and 3 to go.

Also, Jo told me that cutting the material to width is not necessary just so they are planed to thickness.  Thanks folks!!!!  You're the best!

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

Morning gentlemen!  I have just sent the finalized class description to my group leadership for a final sanity check and publishing.  They are just as excited as I am.  So you know what's going on and what's being advertised to the group, here's the document:

CARPENTRY

PURPOSE: 

Teach basic carpentry skills.

WHY:

1.  To develop an understanding of Jesus’ life prior to his ministry. 

2.  To provide a discipline that will assist in equipping children by teaching multilateral skill sets using higher level math, science, and art.

3.  To lay down a foundation of viable life skills and work ethic.

Teachers, Michael Rutherford & sons Robby and Thomas

Michael spent most of his career as a journeyman carpenter in the San Francisco Bay Area.  His main body of work focused on remodeling homes from the ground up to suit the requirement of increasingly affluent clientele. 

At 35 he discovered that he was losing his vision.  Michael has a genetic mutant variety of macular degeneration that as yet is untreatable.  Michael transitioned to a more stable position with a prestigious industrial real estate rental firm doing maintenance and remodeling work in the companies buildings scattered throughout the Silicon Valley.

At 48 we learned that Michael was legally blind.  Because he could no longer drive, he was forced to retire.  Now he is a full time father and husband.

Project Source: 

“Box By Boxâ€, Jim Stack  ISBN-13: 978-1-55870-774-0;  This book has the plans for 12 projects, each building on the skill learned from the previous project.  I strongly encourage purchasing this book

Basic plan:

Ages 7 - 11  -  Provide all cut materials to put a box together.

Ages 12 & up  -  Start from uncut materials and put a box together.

Participation will be limited to 3 children in each age category.  This does not include our own children.

Our projects will focus on using hand tools.  This is an opportunity for parents to start building a tool kit for the future, a piece or two at a time.  The book lists all tools and materials required for each project.

SCHEDULE: 

There are 5 projects in the “basic†skill level.  Each expands the skills learned previously.  We anticipate requiring 4 weekly sessions, 2 hours each to build each box.  The schedule reflects this assumption on our part.  After the first box is completed, we will asses the actual need and adjust the schedule accordingly.

“Clips n’ Thingsâ€.  -  September 5, 12, 19, & 26  -  9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

“Old-Pine Boxâ€Â  -  October 3, 10, 17, & 24  -  9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

“What’s Cookinâ€Â  -  November 7, 14, 21, & 28  -  9 a.m. to 11 a.m

“Box in a Boxâ€Â  -  January 9, 16, 23, & 30  -  9 a.m. to 11 a.m

“Flipperâ€Â  -  February 13, 20, 27, and March 6  -  9 a.m. to 11 a.m

COSTS:

Tuition:  $7 to cover snacks and general overhead such as sandpaper, steel wool, glue, etc.

Materials:  This will vary from box to box.  You will be notified of this cost prior to each session.

END OF NOTICE  ******************************************************

I will prepare individual notices for the subsequent classes and I'll post those for you here as well.  Those will be sent out 2 to 3 weeks prior to the beginning of each session.  The first posting will be for Ron's project, "CLips n' Things" on August 15.  Let me know what reimbursement you'll need so that I can pass the information on to the group with the announcements.

I'm also asking for someone who is studying photography to take and post photos.  This is not my forte, the software keeps changing just as I figure out how to use it! Tongue.gif 

So...  we need to go and find a little fan to put in our brand new baby bird box.  (CURRENTLY housing a hatch of 16 guinea keets!) 

Lew, I'm shipping Parcel Post.  My material is in 24" lengths and the package weighs just under 8 pounds.  How bout yours?

Lewis Kauffman said:

Super!!

I looked at different shipping methods. Parcel Post limits are 70lbs, 27" long x 17" high x 17" wide. Is there any more economical method?

Ron Dudelston said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

OooOooo  There's more than one page! 

Mike wants me to add to the tools listing for you.

NAIL GUNS  -  6 to 16 penny nailer; finish nailer, small staple nailer, pin nailer, palm nailer

REGARDING THE PLANER:

I have a used 3 blade, shop planer.  14" with a 220 motor.  The capacitor is off of the motor which is also partially dismantled (main bolts have been removed from the armature).  I just have to reassemble and then see if it works.  I also need to get a breaker wire and plug in that will receive it.

JO:
I don't think we will need the nail guns for this series of classes, but if it goes as well as anticipated, we might be doing bigger/better projects after this series is completed.

I still have to follow up on the links provided for the planer.

Here is the project list and sponsor data that I have so far:

PROJECT 1 / SEPTEMBER 2012  -  Clips n’ Things  -  Ron Dudelston, cherry

PROJECT 2 / OCTOBER 2012  -  Old Pine Box

PROJECT 3 / NOVEMBER 2012  -  What’s Cookin’?  -  Lewis Kauffman, pine

PROJECT 4 / JANUARY 2013  -  Box in a Box  -  Russell K. Walls, walnut

PROJECT 5 / FEBRUARY 2013  -  Flipper

This is gonna be a great year for learning!!!!  Thanks to you very awesome people!!!Grin.gif

Just checking in here for clarification. The original list of materials for project #3 specifies red oak. The list here indicates pine. I've already started milling Oak- hope that's OK.

Jo R. said:

OooOooo  There's more than one page! 

Mike wants me to add to the tools listing for you.

NAIL GUNS  -  6 to 16 penny nailer; finish nailer, small staple nailer, pin nailer, palm nailer

REGARDING THE PLANER:

I have a used 3 blade, shop planer.  14" with a 220 motor.  The capacitor is off of the motor which is also partially dismantled (main bolts have been removed from the armature).  I just have to reassemble and then see if it works.  I also need to get a breaker wire and plug in that will receive it.

JO:
I don't think we will need the nail guns for this series of classes, but if it goes as well as anticipated, we might be doing bigger/better projects after this series is completed.

I still have to follow up on the links provided for the planer.

Here is the project list and sponsor data that I have so far:

PROJECT 1 / SEPTEMBER 2012  -  Clips n’ Things  -  Ron Dudelston, cherry

PROJECT 2 / OCTOBER 2012  -  Old Pine Box

PROJECT 3 / NOVEMBER 2012  -  What’s Cookin’?  -  Lewis Kauffman, pine

PROJECT 4 / JANUARY 2013  -  Box in a Box  -  Russell K. Walls, walnut

PROJECT 5 / FEBRUARY 2013  -  Flipper

This is gonna be a great year for learning!!!!  Thanks to you very awesome people!!!Grin.gif

I haven't finished prepping the stock, yet. My guess it will be about the same as yours- maybe a couple of pounds more because of the difference in wood. Did some rough calculations and 24/25" pieces should be good to cut up and leave a little for the saw cuts/squaring.

Ron Dudelston said:

Lew, I'm shipping Parcel Post.  My material is in 24" lengths and the package weighs just under 8 pounds.  How bout yours?

Lewis Kauffman said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

I sent plenty for mistakes, er. kindling.

Lewis Kauffman said:

I haven't finished prepping the stock, yet. My guess it will be about the same as yours- maybe a couple of pounds more because of the difference in wood. Did some rough calculations and 24/25" pieces should be good to cut up and leave a little for the saw cuts/squaring.

Ron Dudelston said:

Ron Dudelston
Site Host

OOOPPPSS!  SO sorry about that Lewis!  You are absolutely correct!  Project # 3 IS red oak!  SO sorry about that!  Getting my projects tossed in my brains like salad in a bowl!  I appreciate you pointing that out.  =o)

Archived