Using a transformer stripped from a microwave is dangerous. The voltage is ~3 kV that can pump significant current, and cook a turkey. The recent death used a microwave transformer. An automobile ignition system is 25 kV - and I never heard of any death from touching a spark plug wire. It's the current, not the voltage that kills. Using a neon transformer with limiting current is a different story. I use 10 kV, put my stool on a rubber mat, put another rubber mat under my work on top of my wooden table. I use a power strip with an extra light when power is turned on. I wear rubber gloves and work with one hand behind my back. I think the AAW should ban microwave transformer and educate its members on how to safely use a neon transformer. I get a lot of compliments on my fractal burning work.